Sandtown Advent Christian Church, Ault Park, is part of the Lost Villages Museum in Long Sault. Guy photo
LONG SAULT – Warmed by the century-old cast-iron box stove, a group of 55 guests filled the Sandtown Advent Christian Church on Dec. 8. The small church at the Lost Villages Museum in Long Sault was filled to capacity for its old-fashioned Christmas Advent service and sing-along.
Musical entertainment was provided by Marie Cameron, Ed O’Brien, and the former St. Pius X Choir, who came out of retirement for this special event.
The Sandtown building was built in 1860, serving as a church since 1890. Its wooden interior and historic character added to the charm of the gathering. After the service, everyone was invited for hot apple cider and treats in the Forbes Reading Room.
The Lost Villages Historical Society hosts this event annually; it books up quickly, with some guests coming from as far as Montreal to enjoy the day; it is a joy for everyone involved to see the old church resonate with the sounds of Christmas once again.